A couple of months ago, I decided to convert a little step-up in my dining room into a reading/meditation nook. The space wasn’t being utilized previously – we had a couple of plants sitting by the window. I realized that it was a neat space to take advantage of and convert into a cozy spot for myself. The floor space measures approximately 8x4ft – too small in some cases, but plenty large enough for books, a chair, small table and floor cushions.
I love my chair and chrome end table that set in front of the opened bookcase. I also added a fabric curtain that you can see to the left of the chair – it is on a curtain rod, so if I want more privacy while I’m reading or meditating, I can just pull the curtain over.
It was a deliberate action of mine to keep the color scheme of the space as neutral as possible. The color palette I primarily stuck to was shades of gray and white with a few accents of blue and green. This also insured that the room would blend well into the dining room, which it is technically a part of as you can see in the before and after photos below:
Items I purchased specifically for my reading/meditation nook:
- Plant $14 (Lowe’s)
- Small decorative planter with faux roses $8 (At Home)
- Small faux succulent $8 (Home Goods)
- White metal tray $5 (on clearance at Meijer)
- White lamp base $6 (on clearance at Lowe’s)
- Sheer white curtain panels $10 (on clearance at Gordman’s)
- White privacy curtain (actually a fabric shower curtain) $12 (clearance at Home Goods)
- Curtain rods $6 (Meijer)
- Throw pillows $24 (on sale at Big Lots)
- Plaid throw for chair $8 (on clearance at Kmart)
- Gray accent chair $114 (on sale on Wayfair.com)
- Chrome & glass side table $33 (Wayfair.com)
- Meditation floor cushion (actually a deluxe dog bed!) $30 (Home Goods)
- “Follow Your Heart” accent pillow $17 (Home Goods)
- Agate (dyed) bookends $20 (Amazon.com)
- Faux crystal decorative box $6 (Hobby Lobby)
- Miscellaneous décor items $21 (Hobby Lobby)
- “Funny Face” canvas photo (one of my favorite movies of all time) $5 (clearance at Icing)
- Solar-powered hanging “candle” lantern $10 (Family Dollar)
Grand total, approximately $357.00
Let me first say that this amount of money is NOT a drop in the bucket to me. Far from it – seeing that total actually makes me wince a little. We have a very comfortable life, but we are not financially wealthy. Also, I am a pretty frugal person and don’t enjoy spending a lot of money. HOWEVER…. Once I made up my mind to convert this space into my own, I knew I would have to spend money to turn it into the space I envisioned. In a perfect world, I would have purchased most of my items from artisans on Etsy or other small websites, however, budget-wise, that was not practical for me at all. Thus, I found most of my items at national retailers whose prices were more affordable.
I’m very happy with how my project turned out. I think it will provide a lot of enjoyment for me as a place I can go and sit by myself and read or meditate. I also enjoy sitting with a cup of tea and watching YouTube, I have to admit! It’s also lovely to sit very early in the morning when everyone else is asleep and just enjoy the sunrise.
Do you have a special area or spot in your home where you go to have peace and quiet? Do you have plans to turn a small space in your house into a meditation spot or reading area? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!