I received one of the biggest shocks of my life last autumn. At an ob/gyn appointment for cyst pain, the doctor said she wanted to do a routine pregnancy test. However, I really, really, really didn’t expect the doctor to come up to me 10 minutes later with a funny look on her face…and then tell me I was pregnant.
It has been several years since I had my one and only child, my daughter. It truly feels like starting all over in many ways. However, I’m older than the first time around, and hopefully more prepared this time.
The whole spectrum of emotions has hit me at different moments over the past several weeks. I’ve felt shock, disbelief, scared, overwhelmed, anxious, excited, happy, and blessed. Sometimes I feel several different emotions in one day.
As with my first pregnancy, my true prayer is to have a healthy child. Here are some changes I’ve experienced as well as the things that have been the most useful and comforting to me thus far. Now I am nicely into my second trimester, but I’m dealing with a second round of morning sickness, which stopped around 12 or 13 weeks and then came back about 2 weeks after that.
Symptoms & Body Changes
- Nausea/Morning Sickness accompanied with dizziness and body aches
- Discharge a.k.a. leukorrhea
- Mild to moderate fatigue
- Ovarian cyst pain around weeks 2-6
- Tender breasts
- Tender stomach
- Beginning of a belly bump
- Mild breakouts on my face, almost exclusively around my mouth and chin area
- Bizarre dreams
- Restless sleep
- Very frequent urination
New Habits I’ve Adopted
- Daily prenatal vitamin with folic acid/folate – pretty standard
- Kegals – to strengthen the muscles in preparation for childbirth
- Daily stretches and squats – again, to strengthen my muscles and be as fit as possible for childbirth
- Walks – as applicable when the weather allows
- Meditation/Relaxation practices, light yoga as allowed (when I’m not sick) – As an aside, this isn’t really a new habit – but I added it to this list and I think it is essential that when you’re pregnant and growing a baby, you try to have as calm and peaceful a demeanor as possible for YOUR set of circumstances. I have many stress triggers in my life, but I constantly bring myself back to a state of relaxation and meditative peacefulness for my sake and my baby’s sake.
A Few Pregnancy Favorites So Far
- Peppermint tea – for morning sickness/nausea
- Pregnancy tea – soothing and mild, suitable for when I’m nauseous
- ASMR – for relaxation when I have morning sickness or anxiety
- What To Expect When Expecting book & app – for weekly summary of how baby is developing
- Meow Meow Tweet Spot Treatment – for hormonal breakouts
- Motherhood Maternity & Old Navy Maternity – for comfy, affordable clothes; I’ve also purchased a few maternity clothes from consignment stores
- Sea Bands – for nausea…I couldn’t say how well they worked, but I have them
- Sour hard candies – for nausea…again, not sure how much they helped, but they were cheaper than Preggy Pops and essentially the same thing
- Hot cocoa in lieu of coffee – heat almond milk and then whisk in cocoa and stevia. Voila.
What are/were your favorites during pregnancy? I’d love to hear about what you love(d) in the comments!